Stops automated spam while remaining as unobtrusive as possible to regular commenters. The Spam Destroyer plugin is intended to be effortless to use, simply install and enjoy a spam free website :)
This plugin does not currently work very well for user registrations, bbPress or BuddyPress. We are looking for someone to assist with ensuring this works well in future, so if you would like to help you then please get in touch.
Simply install and activate the plugin. No settings necessary.
For more information, visit the Spam Destroyer plugin page.
Note: Spam Destroyer apparently does not work in conjunction with the Jetpack plugin. That plugin has a nasty way of handling its commenting system which requires you to connect to an external service. This will not work if your installation is not connected to the internet (which is the case for all my development sites). As such, this problem will not be fixed any time soon. If the Jetpack team fixes these major problems I will happily make the plugin compatible with it. In the meantime, I suggest avoiding the Jetpack plugin.
Frequently asked questions
Why should I use this plugin?
You should use this plugin if …
- you are sick of spam.
- you can not afford the costs of using Akismet.
- you do not like the idea of using external services to control spam.
Does it work for WordPress version x.x.x?
I only provide support for the latest version of WordPress.
How does this thing work?
Your plugin is stopping me from posting on XYZ’s blog!? Fixit damnit!
If comments are being picked up as false positives, then the site owner will see that in their spam queue and they can let me know directly. If not, then you were probably blocked for a good reason.
Your plugin is not stopping spam on my contact form
Doh! That will be because I haven’t hooked the plugin into whatever contact form plugin you are using. I intend to ensure it works with the major ones soon, including the Grunion, Gravity Forms and Contact Form 7 plugins. My own contact forms are still be spammed, so I will definitely be fixing this at some point, I just need to find time. (patches welcome)
- Donncha O Caoimh - Developer of Cookies for Comments, functionality of which is incorporated into Spam Destroyer
- Elliot Back - Developer of WP Hashcash, functionality of which is incorporated into Spam Destroyer
- <a href="Marte Sollund and Ingvild Evje - Bug reporting
- Brian Layman - Code advice
- Ronald Huereca - JS advice
- Shawn Gaffney - Bug reporting
- Kaspars Dambis - Bug reporting
- Jon Brown - Added error message filter
- Support for WordPress 4.1+ added.
- Added translation string specification in header.
- Fixed a bug in the spam checking that (I think) would have cleared the content of bbpress posts for logged in users
- Fixed various spellling errors and grammar wrongs
- Updated version compatibility
- Cleaning up PHPDocs
- Now automatically deletes spam comments older than a set time (5 days)
- Removed kill.php from trunk
- Updated readme file for current WordPress Release
- Fixed short cookie time bug thanks to Milan Dinić
- Fixed bug which prevented user registration
- Thanks to Marte Sollund and Ingvild Evje of Nettsett for an excellent bug report
- Instantiated class to variable to allow for remove hooks and filters when necessary
- Added redirect after spam comment detected
- Added error notice on redirection due to spam comment detection
- Changed from kill.php file to kill.js file
- Allows for caching of payload
- Allows for automatic script concatenation
- Cookie creation achieved via raw JS
- Key is passed to script via wp_localize_script()
- Re-removed requirement for jQuery
- Added try / catch to JS to ensure it doesn't fail
- Moved JS enqueue to form field area so that it only loads when needed
- Added Bjørn Johansen to the contributor list
- Added correct mime-type to JS file
- Added requirement for jQuery due to bug with code introduced in 1.2.2
- Removed need for jQuery
- Moved script to footer on advice of Ronald Huereca and Bjørn Johansen
- Fixed potential security flaw in kill.php
- Fixed multisite and BuddyPress bugs
- Added support for bbPress registrations
- Added support for bbPress guest posting protection
- Removed the "bad word" list
- Added support for BuddyPress signup page
- Added support for WordPress multisite signup page
- Upgrade to documentation
- Changed name to 'spam-destroyer'
- Cleaned up some legacy code from older implementations
- Initial release
Any beta/alpha versions to be released in future, will be posted for download on the Spam Destroyer plugin page.